fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #1567

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #1567
From: "Mike" <mikee@ragtops.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:59:56 -0500
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Bill,
   Our shop is plumbed 100% with plastic pipe. A 250-300 ft loop of
1 1/2" pipe with 18 3/4" drops both up and down. You can't use
regular PVC pipe - it shatters when it bursts. There are at least two
manufacturers of the  correct pipe. One kind is green (what we
have) and
comes from NIBCO and is called Chemtrol & Chemair.
<www.nibco.com> You can
try asahi/america for more info about the blue pipe. It assembles
just
like PVC, but has it's own green primer & glue. You have to have
plastic-to-metal
adapters at the ends for the quik-connects. In ten years we've never
had a
failure or leak. The pipe sags over long runs and will collect
moisture,
which then blows through your expensive tools. You'll need an
efficient
water removal system or build p traps or drip legs at each fitting. We
used an 18" section of 1 1/2" armoured flex hose from the
compressor to the
water traps for vibration and heat insulation.Then an oil trap and a
large desiccant water trap then the plastic pipe. 1 1/2" for the main
loop and 3/4" for all the legs.  There are water/oil/dirt
traps at most of the quik connects with valves or regulators as
appropriate. We also use hose reels on several of the lines. Beside
being
neat and clean, the hoses last a lot longer when you keep them
rolled up.
Anything else?

-- Michael Engard
1970 Rover 3500S