fot

RE: Performance 13" and 14" Street Tires - Experience or

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Performance 13" and 14" Street Tires - Experience or
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:23:49 -0800
>     Seems like the selection of even performance 13 and 14 inch street tires
> is dwindling. Trying to find current equivalent for that is about equivalent
> to original factory equipped tires ( v-rated 205 - 70 - 14).

Gonna be tough to find much of a performance tire in such a tall profile.  I'd
be looking for options to get down to a 50 or 60 series tire.  If you need to
stay close to that diameter and width, you'll probably have to get bigger wheels
to find any serious performance tires.

> Closest options to
> original to be a set of Yokos or Pirellis, any comment on these brands as
> street rubber? Any other brands?

I've been unhappy with the Yoko & Pirelli performance tires I've had.  The
Pirellis were awful out of the box, the Yoko AVSs worked well at first but got
dangerously 'hard' with lots of tread left. Yoko Avids are OK, but I'd class
them more as "grocery getter" tires than performance tires (use them on my Buick
wagon).  Good in the rain, though.  Bridgestone Potenzas seem to do better for
me as performance street tires.

But of course it depends a great deal on your vehicle and it's suspension.  I
love my Triumphs, but the suspensions are a bit primitive.  Quite possibly the
'Stones are just more forgiving of less-than-optimum camber and the other makes
would work better on more modern sports cars.

Randall