fot

[FOT] Re: re RE: TR3&4 Cam Bearing Bolts Poll

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Re: re RE: TR3&4 Cam Bearing Bolts Poll
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:36:49 -0600
All the plugs on the left side of the motor have a copper washer
under the head. See Moss catalog page 6 item 35 and page 8 item 24a.
The washers are 1/16" thick.

The bolts plugging the holes to the camshaft bearing drillings do
have a nubbin on the end that is supposed to fit into the drilled
hole in the camshaft. I'm not sure why they did that since I don't
know of other engines where it is done- but somebody on the list has
probably seen it elsewhere. It's either to keep the cam bearings from
turning or to make sure the rest of the holes are lined up or both.
The holes for the bolts had to be there to allow access for the
factory to drill the oil holes for the cam.

I'd make three points:

1. If the machine shop did not get the bearing in exactly right, and
you screw the bolt in all the way, you will distort the cam bearing
and the cam will not go in, or it will seize. Try the camshaft in the
bearings with no bolts in those holes, to make sure that the bearings
have not been ruined.

2. In any case, replace the washers. If you don't, you run the risk
of some part of the end of the bolt hitting the cam bearing and
ruining it.If you want to be a purist and leave the little nubbin on
the end of the bolt, make absolutely certain that it lines up exactly
with the little hole in the cam bearing.

3. If the hole is not lined up, or if you want to make absolutely
certain that you won't distort the bearings, you can do one of two
things. Either drill out the little holes so the nubbins will clear,
or grind the nubbins off of the bolts. I've done both, depending on
circumstances, and have never had a problem with either approach,
except drilling leaves shaving plus burrs on the holes.