fot

Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets and Bicycle Helmets

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets and Bicycle Helmets
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:31:11 -0500
As an avid bicyclist - yes, there are a few of us that like both the human
powered experience and give generously to Our Lady of Internal Combustion -
I can pass along that the same rule of thumb applies for bike helmets.  Five
years and you should toss them.  I take great care not to drop mine on the
ground or abuse it, but the "foam" that absorbs the shock does get brittle
over time.  Bike helmets, if used, probably spend many more hours in the sun
than our racing helmets.  In my average year I would guess the helmet is
outdoors at least 150 hours a year while riding.