fot

Re: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:20:46 EST
In a message dated 3/14/2006 10:29:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BillB@bnj.com writes:

It's really easy to make buttons--I turn them from teflon. I hear  delrin
works also. I don't know why I haven't used them in a Triumph motor.  I
always use them in motorcycle engines.

==AM==
I found such buttons in the 1147 in my ex-GP Spitfire 4 autocrosser when  I
needed to replace a broken ring. They seem to have done their job just fine
and for a number of years.

I first got that car in 1983. It had been abandoned at least five years
before that. I never opened up that motor until 1996, so the buttons had to
have
been there since sometime in the 1970s.

Of course, this is the same motor that I discovered had NO second
compression ring on any of the four pistons. An old "race engine builder's
trick," I'm
told. Guess it worked, but I was just as happy to redo the engine  with
TotalSeal rings, which also worked just fine.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and  Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)