fot

[FOT] Re: 4A & 6 Roll Cage Question

To: sbracing@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [FOT] Re: 4A & 6 Roll Cage Question
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:27:08 -0500
Steve Benford asked:

>I have a question for those of you racing a 4A or a 6.  Where does the main
>roll
>cage hoop, behind the driver, mount to?

Having just installed a 6-point in my TR6, I'll try to help.  However, I
built
my cage to fit *under* the Surrey top, which necessitated trying several
sets of seats before I could find one that fits.  Its tight!

Question I have to ask is why do you want to bolt the cage?  I was going to
bolt
the cage for the longest time because I was afraid to cut into the body that
I had
spent so much time, effort and $$$s to look good.  But deep down I knew that
a bolt-in cage would not provide the chassis rigidity that I was after.
Once you've
cut the first hole, it is easy thereafter.  :)

If you have a look at my infrequently-updated blog at
http://hottr6.blogspot.com/,
there is a good picture of the main hoop (click on the pic for a large
version).
You will see that there is quite a bend in the hoop to clear the seat, and
yet allow
the foot of the hoop to be welded to the chassis.

I've since finished the intrusion bars, smoothed the welds and filled all
the
dents caused by the pipe-bender.  It looks terrific!

Hope the picture helps.

Shane Ingate, amateur welder in Maryland