fot

Re: [FOT] Oil Breather

To: vintage.racer@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Oil Breather
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:48:05 EDT
In a message dated 3/31/06 8:17:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vintage.racer@comcast.net writes:

<< During the first vintage race event with my newly prepared TR-4, I was
adding
 about 1/2 quart of oil per twnety-minute session.  Upon investigating, it
 appears oil is exiting out of the stock, metal breather pipe that is attached
 near the bottom rear of the engine block on the drivers side.  Is this a
 common problem with this configuration?  How has this problem been solved?

It use to be very common.  Most of the turns you go around are right handed.
Originally, I removed the section that bends down and brazed on a length of
tubing that almost reached the top of the engine.  A small cap (which bent 90
degrees down) was installed on top of the tubing to keep anything from falling
into it.

Now all breathers have to be routed to a catch tank.  Oil in the catch tank
is an indication of blow-by due to worn rings or new rings not yet seated.