fot

[FOT] Re: Next year

To: gasket.works@gte.net
Subject: [FOT] Re: Next year
From: GRMTim@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 02:12:14 EDT
Mordy (and the rest of the list),

Nice getting to finally sit and chat with you a bit too. I am posting your
letter on the list, because Henry Frye also approached me about next year's
event and I want to keep all this sort of stuff in front of everyone so no one
gets accused of back room politics.

Henry suggested that I ask HSR if we could join in at their Watkins Glen
event. The thinking was that even though we fit better with SVRA, their SVRA
Glen
event is already over subscribed. The HSR Glen event is not. I did call HSR
co-owner Steve Simpson and he said he would love to have us under similar
terms
as the Mitty last year.

Quite honestly, on the one hand, it is cheaper and easier to have the meet in
the east for many of us. Joe, we need to once again look at where the list is
based. We need to compare entries from this year to the last couple of years
and see what venue worked best.

That said, when going further west was brought up last year, I suggested the
Hallett folks would be easy to work with. While I had no desire to go to
Hallett, I thought it made sense. Now, having just returned from Hallett, I
would
say that Hallett is one of the most fun tracks I have ever run. The area is
quite nice and the track management was wonderful.

Because of my involvement with FOT, I got to run another great track, saw old
friends, made new ones, drank too much beer and had a hell of a good time. As
far as I am concerned, if next year's event is in Alaska, we'll make the tow.
This is also pretty easy for me to commit to, as I flew in like a rock star
and conned JK and Gary into doing the towing.

Coming back down to reality for a minute... logistically if it were going to
be west coast, it would be easier for a lot of us from the east to justify, if
it was near another major event (preferably Monterey Historics) as it is an
event that most of us in the industry need to be at, and most of the rest of
us
would love to see. I also am interested in visiting the Portland Historics
and Seattle events. On another personal note, if it is not going to be part of
big festival type event, I would rather run a fun lower speed track like
Hallett, Streets of Willow, Roebling or Lime Rock, than a superspeedway type
place
like Daytona or Watkins Glen. Slower, more technical tracks seem to suit my
car and my lack of cajones a bit better.

I would say, the sooner we decide, the sooner we can get organized, get
sponsors etc. Discuss amongst yourselves...

Tim Suddard/Classic Motorsports magazine

P.S. Thanks Kelvin from Moss Motorsports for helping me co-sponsor this
year's event and a special thanks to all who helped organize things.