fot

Re: [FOT] ..Kas said.........

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] ..Kas said.........
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:06:56 -0500
That's kinda the same thing. I saw 4 head gaskets replaced successfully (OK,
one was really a cracked liner, and another a valve). Those guys didn't get
beaten by their equipment. I saw a camshaft replaced at the track. That guy
wouldn't let his equipment fail him. I saw u-joints replaced, IRS hub/axles
repaired. Simple things at home but at the track it took some dedication not
to be beaten by equipment.

Kas' quote surely means to be prepared up front, double check everything and
be ready for the race so that something we could have handled in the prep
stage doesn't take us down. From that perspective we had a few failures.
Some were prep issues and some were parts issues. I get mad every time I
found out about another crappy TR part that fits but has enough wrong with
it that it doesn't last. Will-fit parts have no place on our cars. For
example, last night I replaced the water pump on my wife's 1976 TR6. I took
out the original one last summer thinking it was going bad. Nothing was
really wrong with it. The new one I put in started leaking within 6 months.

I on the other hand did get beaten by my equipment, beaten into submission.
Beaten by my machinist, by my welder, by my engine parts, mostly by my
timeline. Of course, these were things under my own control. I should have
paid more attention to Kas.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com