fot

[FOT] Wild Hare Run

To: "Amici Triumphi" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Wild Hare Run
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:44:26 -0400
That's the name of VDCA's April event at VIR. Those who missed it missed out on
a fantastic weekend both on track and weather-wise. We were well represented as
usual, with George Wright, Don Marshall, Mark Wheatley and I flogging TR4's,
Leo Oddi ran his TR250, Dean Tetterton brought out his Warwick to play, Dick
Naze was keeping the sidescreen tradition alive, and Bob Stadel brought out his
beautiful ex-Ames TR powered Ambro. Our gracious host Mike Jackson left his TR
at home, and ran his Shadowfax Formula Vee.

Don and Leo had all kinds of fun each running a set of BFG high performance
street radials, and their search for the optimal cold air pressure kept them
well entertained all weekend. One of them got within a half second or so of his
best time, so I think there is some merit to the concept of running street
tires on the track.

The toolboxes were not used much for the most part, and we had a great showing
Friday and Saturday. The free Sunday enduro took it's toll on Dean and Leo,
both out with clutch problems. Dick ran well in the  enduro but was a no-show
for the feature.

As we found at Hallett, track time can be a double edged sword. We want lots,
but lots of track time takes it's toll. We got 7 sessions Friday and Saturday,
and Sunday we had a warmup, the free enduro and our feature. I'm exhausted...

Our grid started the weekend with 50 cars, 25 took the green flag for the
feature. Triumphs taking the green were George, Mark, Don and me. George
suffered clutch hydraulic failure and Don spun and was unable to get it
restarted, so Mark and I were the only TR's taking the checkered flag Sunday
afternoon.

I ran the new Hoosier Speedster, I'll do a writeup on my thoughts tomorrow when
I get home.

Henry Frye
Sent from my Treo PDA