fot

[FOT] Background on Tristan & help needed

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Background on Tristan & help needed
From: Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:00:06 -0500
Hi everyone!

I finally found Tristan's old log books and did a little research and
came up with some cool information, but I still need some help.

The first log book I have starts in 1976 with the car being
owned/competed by Ronald (Ron) Fleming as FP #1, through at least 1979.
He won the Mid-Am Championship in the car in 1977. The car looks very
similar to today's build, except for round rear lights that it does not
have now, front and rear flares (we removed for vintage racing) and has
a nice front spoiler and a front bumper. I met a gentleman at Hallett
who spent a good bit of time talking with me, and he co-owned the car
and drove it with Ron. His name is E.L. James, and I got a pic of him
with the car. Ron Fleming had gone on to become a master craftsman in
wood, with pieces at the White House and Smithsonian, and is now working
in crystal.

The car then was owned/driven by Robert (Bob) Diehl and Michael Hughes,
from 3/5/1983 through 12/28/1986. It now has lost the bumper and nice
spoiler, gained a plain spoiler, larger driver head plate on the roll
cage, added a bullet mirror to the passenger door and got different
wheels and rear-view mirror. It was campaigned as FP #22.

Clyde Stutzman bought the car in 1986 and ran it through 1990, when he
sold the car to Bert Rupp, who sold it to me 9/18/1997. The car was FP
#53 when I got it, and it quickly became Tristan, FP #42 (R.I.P.,
Douglas Adams!).

It looks like the car ran in the south-central region all of its life.
Events listed are at Hallett; Green Country; Hutchinson; Lake Afton;
Ponca City (Grand Prix in 1979); Salt City; TWS; and Abilene (as well as
some with just the names of the events), and it has run at Hallett, TWS,
Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and VIR with me (soon to be adding Texas Motorsports
Ranch!).

My questions:

1) Does anyone know of or have records or pictures of this car in any of
its iterations (FP #1, 22 or 53) other than the current one? As far as I
know, the car has been red all of its life, until my intervention.

2) Does anyone know who might have had the car before Ron Fleming? I
have E.L. James' information somewhere, but will have to find it before
I can contact him. He thinks he/Ron may have old pictures of the car as
well.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Take care,
Susan :)

--
*** PCMCIA  People Cant Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms ***