fot

Re: [FOT] Time to replace the harness

To: henry@henryfrye.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Time to replace the harness
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:12:37 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/06 6:31:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
henry@henryfrye.com writes:

<< The harness in my car has reached maturity, in May it is 5 years old, time
for a new one.  Looks like I am going to buy an Impact Racing system
harness.>>

This is what I did for my last set of seat belts -- Bill Simpson's new
company.  Since I was previously using Simpson Seat Belts, I mailed them to
Impact
Racing and they used the metal components, costing about $55.00.

You may want to carefully measure the distance your shoulder harness has to
reach back to the mounting point.  By the time I got all the recommended belt
loops through the mounting attachment, my Stermen Strap is a little high.  You
do not want this thing up around your throat.  You might want to special order
slightly longer straps back from the Stermen Strap.

Apparently SCCA has not yet force the requirements of not reusing the same
metal parts.  Some clown wrote a sizable technical article in "Sports Car"
about
hydrogen embrittlement of the metal parts.  I brought up this subject at a
Steel Cities Region meeting.

Hydrogen embrittlement is a Nuclear Reactor term.  It is the concern that
hydrogen embrittlement may occur in the pressure vessels of nuclear reactors
over
a long period of time.  All of these pressure vessels are now over forty
years old, go through many heat cycles, and are in a highly radioactive field.

Our seat belt buckles will be around long after we are all shoveled under,
unless they are thrown into a melting furnace.