fot

Re: [FOT] Kastner D cam?

To: jerryvv@alltel.net, mjb@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Kastner D cam?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:19:20 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/06 5:30:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jerryvv@alltel.net writes:

<< Here is what I understand. Using a degree wheel disregard the first .010
 movement of the dial indicator when checking at the cam for lift. Once that
 initial .010 movement is read then set the cam at the 33 degree BTDC
 location. >>

This is basically right.  Most other cams use a checking clearance of 0.050"

I have done this procedure many times.  Each time, I have to scratch my head
and think.  Off the top of my head, you do the following:

    Install the timing chain with the lines on the camshaft and crank
pointing towards each other (if they exist).

    Bolt a pointer to the front of the engine, made from a coat hanger.

    Find TDC of the No. 1 piston, using a dial gage on the crown of the
piston.

    Mount the degree wheel to the crankshaft and set it to zero with the
pointer.

    If you had Kas's tool made, that fits inside a lifter, set up the dial
gage on the number one lob on the camshaft.

    Turn the crankshaft and keep adjusting the timing gear until you get the
No 1 intake lob showing 33 degrees on the degree wheel at 0.010" on the dial
gage.