fot

[FOT] Hood Louvers - Dumber Questions ???

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Hood Louvers - Dumber Questions ???
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:18:56 EDT
Thanks to all that responded to this issue. I found  the online examination
of under the hood temperatures and on top of the hood  pressures to be
informative and somewhat surprising. I thought it would be  hotter on top of
the
engine. Any of you who live in the winter zones know that  the engine image
appears
on the frost of the hood first.

 Reference for hood opening study again is _
http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm#theory_
(http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm#theory) .

    His choice of louvers is probably not vintage  legal, (although I do like
the idea that you can seal off the louvers). The  shape of the louvers chosen
raised additional question in my mind about the most  effective size opening,
shape of the opening, and positioning (these seem  to be on an angle on the
hood), He really did not study that louver design and  its not clear that the
choice had anything to do with GM engineering of the  louvers for effectiveness.

    Most of the louvers that I have seen on vintage  race cars are narrow,
closely spaced, and varying in the angle of the sheet  metal bend (although
mostly facing mostly backward rather than upward). What  remains in my memory
of
fluid flow dynamics suggests that one would want larger  openings than the
narrow slots than I have seen on many vintage cars and  one would assume that
the
air flow should be directed as vertically as possible,  but most of sheet
metal openings (if my memory is correct) are  mostly directed backwards. In
addition, at speed there would likely be some  turbulent air flow through the
louvers that I would think be best managed by  spacing and upward air flow away
from
the flow from the next louver.

    What am I missing here?

Cary