fot

Re: [FOT] TR Owners - Racing Interest

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: [FOT] TR Owners - Racing Interest
From: Ernest Husmann <ehusmann@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:03:49 -0500
Update on the day at the Runoff:

Sam Halkias was smoking from the beginning of the session and with less
than 5 minutes left in the qualifying session he was smoking heavily and
did not finish the session but did qualify 7th for the race.  Went by Sam's
trailer after the session but neither the car or Sam was there so I can't
say specifically what happened.

There are a total of six Spitfires; one 1500 and Steve Sargis running
FP.  Don't know anything about the 1500 but Steve was babying a bad head
gasket.  Talked to Steve about a number of things but not where he qualified.

Four Spitfires running in HP.  Tom Foley had qualified second yesterday,
but had yet to make a quick lap when a A-H Sprite decided to do some
acrobatics 15 minutes into a 40 minute session and the session was black
flagged and not restarted; not sure where Tom qualified today.  Two other
Spits came in at the end of a rope and the forth finished way back (that's
a guess); sorry not aware of the other driver's name.

The new HP rules seem to be favorable for the 1300 Spitfires, meaning a
place where they will be competitive.  I also spoke with some old SCCA
contacts and the rumor has it that the SCCA is tightening the Prod rules to
limit modifications bringing car prep back toward the pre-1973 standards
which may be favorable for the Triumph faithful.

Weather today was better than yesterday; 50 degrees but no rain.  Weather
is to improve with temps reaching into the 60's to 70's over the next three
days.

E.