fot

Fwd: RE: [FOT] Shocks and Springs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: RE: [FOT] Shocks and Springs
From: Jim Cun <jimcun2001@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:10:42 +1100 (EST)
Note: forwarded message attached.
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:07:03 +1100 (EST)
From: Jim Cun <jimcun2001@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Shocks and Springs
To: Mark York <m-syork@comcast.net>

Mark,
         That is a big improvement on your lap times! Thanks for the help it is
appreciated.

  Regards Jim

Mark York <m-syork@comcast.net> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Jim
  The MGB GT springs are around 475 # and are shorter than the standard Triumph
spring by almost 2 inches. They fit inside the shock tower without any
modification although the diameter of the spring is a bit smaller than the TR.
I wasnt able to use the rubber packing on the top of the spring, but its a
race car so if it squeaks a bit who cares. The MG springs were cheap I think I
paid under $30 each from TRF p/n BHH-1077, (Moss Motors also has them).
  The car was originally set up with Spax shocks but they were pretty worn out
when I bought the car. I couldnt get any adjustment out of them. The Roadster
Factory had a sale on Koni (about $95 each). They are definitely harder to set
up so if you like to fiddle with shock stiffness be prepared to remove the
shock completely to make proper adjustments.
  I rebuilt the front end using 3 deg castor trunnions, springs, shocks, Delrin
bushings, Panasport wheels with Hoosier Vintage TD tires. Its hard to say what
made the biggest difference but my lap times came down by around 6-7 seconds at
Pacific Raceways in Seattle and Portland International Raceway. I think the new
tires made the biggest difference (I was running Dunlops) and more seat time
helps.
  Good luck
  Mark