fot

Re: [Fot] tuning lever shocks

To: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>, "FOT List"
Subject: Re: [Fot] tuning lever shocks
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:18:09 +0000
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>

> I've been playing around with the collection of old Armstrong lever shocks I
> have collected over the years. I have found that the heavy duty versions have
> a blue outer spring with 2 thin washers and the inner spring is turned down a
> few turns. The standard springs seem to be a gold outer with much less
>tension
> on the inner and only one thin washer under the outer spring. The valve
>itself
> seemed identical in my samples. I haven't asked Apple if they sell these
>parts
> separately yet but I plan too. Do we have any other sources for shock parts?

Peter Caldwell at World Wide Autoparts of Madison (WI) has his own shock
rebuilding operation. Not only does he rebuild for his own shop, he also
rebuilds for some others who sell rebuilt levers. Great guy, usually drives a
Sprite as his daily driver, and is often in the paddock at vintage races
crewing for Sprite guys. He is also the one that told me about the crappy Lucas
dizzy rotors that typically fail without warning, and then showed up at Road
America with a handful of TR3/TR4 dizzy rotors that are vastly superior in
quality and service life. You can contact Peter at:
http://www.nosimport.com/
NFI,
Irv Korey