fot

Re: [Fot] Permatex Red applied to rod bolts

To: jhassall@blacksburg.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Permatex Red applied to rod bolts
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:31:41 EST
In a message dated 12/23/06 5:38:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jhassall@blacksburg.net writes:

<< What's the preferred technique for applying Red to bolt threads?  Lacking
 info on their Web site, I applied a uniform coating to the leading 1/4 inch
 of my TR4 rod bolts.  A day later it occurred to me that I might have
 weakened the threaded connection by applying too much.  But if I'd applied
 just a small spot, it too would have been smeared over the threads and
 might not have been as strong.  Yes, I'm over-thinking the problem.  But
 what say y'all?  What's the preferred method?

I will not say that this is 100% correct with all of you experts.  I have
used Locktite on rod bolts for years.  My machinist told me that he just puts a
little engine oil on rod bolts while building stock car engines.  He says that
it is the torque that holds the bolt in the hole, not the Loctite.

I am now not using Locktite.  My reasoning is that you better torque the
bolts right away, or you can get a false torque reading.  Also, when you change
out the rod bearings, it is almost impossible to clean out all of the dried
Loctite, which will also gives you false torque readings.

If you are installing Carillo rods, you are told to use their special
lubricant on the threads and under the bolt heads.