fot

Re: [Fot] Race Car workshop chemical grocery list

To: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Race Car workshop chemical grocery list
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 07:49:40 -0800
The rear packing on the rear main with the felt material and permatex is
really an easy operation that can be quite successful, but a little sticky to
do.

Cut the packing into sections about an inch long.  You soak these in a small
tray of the gooey stuff for a minute or so, then insert a piece into the
channel on the side of the main cap, but now the trick.......
You insert a steel squared  rod with a similar shape as the channel  and
hammer the previously inserted piece of packing down in the channel. ( I made
mine out of a piece of 7/16" steel rod just by grinding flats onto the sides).
I still have the tool I made 50 years ago.

Each side should take about 6-8 pieces or more inserted in this manner. You
keep beating the stuff into the channel until it will not take any more at
all, don't be kind, beat it down hard. Then trim the protruding bit with a
razor blade. You'll be surprised how much you can put into each side of the
main cap with this method. It will stop the leaks.

Never Be beaten by Equipment
Kas Kastner