fot

Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts

To: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:13:30 -0700
John Herrera wrote:

>>An interesting one.
>>Didn't know that one.
>>It can switch off both engine parts seperatly to save fuel.
>>
>> 2.868 kW (3.845 HP)
>>
>>Let's say drawn....because the engine was never in use.
>>

>If we're including experimental engines here, how about the Lycoming sitting
>down at Paul Garber (unless they moved it to Udvar-Hazy); four rows of nine
>cylinders, liquid cooled. I disremenber the displacement, but I think it was
>about 7000 cubic inches and 5000 HP. Meant for a plane that was never built.
>It has contra-rotating splined propshafts. They said that when tested at the
>Lyc plant on third shift, it woke up all of Williamsport!

Radials of any size seem to have a peculiar throb to them.  Thinking
about radials, my story about that particular noise is that not long
before my mother and father were married, my father wanted to give his
prospective father-in-law a thrill.  My grandfather had been an aircraft
mechanic in WWI, so my father got one of his friends to borrow one of
the B-25s they used for navigation training, and they did a pass over
the farm in west Texas at full throttle.  There was some (much later)
discussion about just how low the plane was.  My grandfather said about
75 feet, but, my father says they had to lift a wing to get over the
windmill,which was about 35' tall.

And, according to my father, my grandfather was wearing a grin for days,
just hearing those big radials just throbbing away that close.  My
cousin (then about four years old) didn't cotton to the noise too well.
He ran into the house and hid under the bed. Couldn't get him out of
there for about three hours.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....