fot

[Fot] low cost rods / pistons

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] low cost rods / pistons
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:05:58 -0600
First off, a huge "Thank You!" to Mordy and Paul for all their work
in getting a major crank manufacturer to agree to make our cranks. To
get to this point takes lots of hours, and this is a really huge
service to the Triumph community. Several FOT listers need cranks for
next year, and the likelihood of being able to get them in time from
Moldex is nil. Furthermore, the ability to specify big end journal
width opens up the possibility of big dollar savings and superb
bearing choices for us TR racers.

I have looked at the idea of low cost high production rods for about
six years. The roadblock was always the dimensions of available rods.
As of today, though, I know of two listers who have built engines
using these ideas of Chevy and Ford rods who have saved a big chunk
of change. The main advantage is that current price of four TR4 rods
from Carillo is $1029. By contrast, four really good rods, made for
500 hp Chevies, can be had for about $300.

I MIGHT be interested in pulling together a package of rods and
pistons that would save us all money and that might have some
technical advantages. However, from personal experience at developing
and selling parts (Southwick axles, aluminum hubs, front spindle
kits, light ring gears, crank scrapers, yada yada), my experience is
that it takes LOTS of time in emails, phone calls, letters, boxing,
shipping arrangements, billing, etc. The complicating aspect of this
particular project is that it will involve several vendors.

One option open to everybody is to do their own engineering and
negotiating. That takes lots of time and might or might or might not
yield the lowest price for each individual. The other option is to
put together a package with reasonable choices and one person
coordinate. I am willing to do that, but only if I can add a modest
profit to pay for my time, at a rate a little higher than minimum wage.

Soooo.....here's what I will do. I will write up what I know to this
point and put it on Tony's web site shortly. I'll let you know when
it is there, which should be in a day or two. I will collect ideas
from listers regarding options for the kit. I will explore pricing
with several vendors. Then I'll give you the results and make a proposal.

Initially I will investigate using Scat rods and Wiseco pistons.

So -- first step -- anyone who has useful input on potential
dimensions, potential specific rods, please give them to me quickly.

uncle jack