fot

Re: [Fot] New poll - head & neck restraints

To: spitfiresuz@141.com,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] New poll - head & neck restraints
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:46:46 -0500
>What do you folks recommend, and why?  Of course I am interested in my
>safety (I just read an article in Reader's Digest about a guy who was
>"internally decapitated" in a street-car crah, gah!), but I don't want to
>spend gobs of money if there is an effective system out there for less.

I use a HANS and having tested it, I'm quite happy with it.  It is very
easy to get used to, and as an added bonus, my neck is slightly
less tired at the end of a race (maybe that's a placebo effect, but
that's OK too).  As someone else mentioned, make sure that you
get the right angle for your seat.  Also, you might ask them about
"returns" or last year's models.  A friend got one that someone in
the IRL had ordered, but had gotten the wrong angle and returned
it, so he was able to get it for half price.  When I called and asked
if they had any, they didn't but they did have a leftover "last year's
model" which had some cosmetic differences and the price was
much, much better.  It can't hurt to ask...

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net