fot

[Fot] oils

To: fot@autox.team.net, rdwismer@mchsi.com
Subject: [Fot] oils
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:39:55 -0600
If you're all tired about talking about oils, hit delete now.
Otherwise, here is some info from a genuine expert. It answers some
of my questions but not all. I don't have a particular problem with
lubes but I find the subject pretty interesting and maybe some of you do too.

I've sent inquiries to Castrol (actually BP, the owner) about their
Syntech product. The answers I have received were in Corporate-speak.
These were not very satisfying answers. However, I know the General
Manager-Lubes for a large petroleum products distributor and I
recently posed some of these questions to him. He sent me the
following response, authored by Castrol's Steve Goodier. He can be
reached at the technical department at

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915731&contentId=6006895

and you can click on more info about Steve Goodier and see that if
you wish. Anyway, here's the email that he sent in response to my
questions about flat tappet wear in engines using modern lubes:

"This question is coming up more and more.

 >Anyhow, engines such as this that use flat tappets could be sensitive to
 >reduced levels of Phosphorous in oil formulations, it appears that 0.1%
 >is about the cut off point, so oils for flat tappets should contain
 >>.1%.
 >Phos has been steadily going down as the amount of ZDDP has been reduced
 >to ensure compatibility with exhaust after treatment
 >
 >>From our range the following are higher than 0.1%
 >Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 (CI4,CH4,CG4,CF4,CF,SL)
 >Castrol GTX High Mileage 20W-50 (SL,SM)
 >Castrol GTX 20W-50 (SL,SM)
 > Castrol HD 30 (SL,SM)
 > Castrol HD 40 (SL,SM)
 > Castrol Syntec Blend Truck 15W-40
 >(CI4,CH4,CG4,CF4,CF,SL)(Semi-synthetic)
 > Castrol Tection Extra 15W-40 (CI4Plus, CI4,CH4,CG4,CF4,SL)
 > Castrol Hypuron S 15W-40 (CI4Plus,CH4,CG4,SL)(Semi-synthetic)
 >Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (SL,CF)(Synthetic)
 > Castrol GO! 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil (SG)
 > Castrol GO! 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil (SG)
 > Castrol Grand Prix 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil 10W-40 (SG)
 > Castrol Grand Prix 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil 20W-50 (SG)
 > Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 (SJ)(Synthetic)
 >

 >Steve Goodier
 >Technology Manager (Americas CVO and Global OEM)"

uncle jack