fot

[Fot] Re Herald etc front brakes

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Re Herald etc front brakes
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:08:32 EST
In a message dated 2/6/2007 11:05:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fot-request@autox.team.net writes:

> The Herald did provide much of the running gear for the early Couriers as
> well as the Spitfire. However, the Herald never had disc brakes, so I don't
> think you want to go there. The Vitesse might have used better components
> but I,
> not sure of the lineage that comes from that. The GT6 brakes will go right
> on
> a  Spitfire and Courier, but I have seen no documentation that supports that
>
> historically during the period.
>
> Kas Kastner might be able to shed some light on this and I will forward it
> to the FOT (Friends of Triumph) news list.
>
> Jack Woehrle

OK, here is the low down on Herald etc brakes:

The Herald (948): April 22,1959-1961. (1964 in some markets)
The Herald 1200: (mark 1) 1961-1966.
The Herald 12/50: 1963-1967.
The Herald 1200: (mark 2) late 1966-mid 1971.
The Herald 13/60: 1967-mid 1971.

The Spitfire 4: 1962-1965.
The Spitfire Mk.2: 1965-1967
The Spitfire Mk.3: 1967-1970
The Spitfire IV: 1970-1974
The Spitfire 1500: 1974-1980.

The Vitesse 6: end of May 1962-1966.
The Sports 6 was available from 1962-1964.
The Vitesse 2L: 1966-1968.
The Vitesse MK.2: 1968-July 1971.

The GT6: 1966-1968.
The GT6-2/GT6+ : 1968-1970.
The GT6-3: 1970-1973.

DRUMS ir DISCS

(This is a paragraph in the Rimmer Catalogue, and is the best explaination I
have seen thus far)

When were drums fitted?

The early Heralds (948, 1200, 12/50) were all equipped with drum brakes from
the factory, however, as technology progressed in the development of the disc
brake, (brought about by racing), then demand grew for this new type of
braking system. To cater for the growing requests, the factory offered the
public
two solutions.

1) Disc Brakes were offered as a 'factory fitted option' (from approximately
1963 to 1967), when ordering a new Herald.

2) You could order a factory 'disc conversion kit', and have it fitted by the
local Triumph agent.

Eventually, (from approximately 1967), Disc Brakes were fitted as standard on
late Herald 1200s & 12/50s, and all 13/60s, so trying to determine the
changes by chassis numbers can be a bit of a problem. (not for John
Kipping/Canley
Classics, it is in their catalogue! - see below - probably taken from the
Standard-Triumph spare parts catalogue).

How to identify:

When the factory offered discs as an option on early Heralds, they did this
by fitting an adaptor plate to carry the caliper, this bolted to the vertical
link, (209222/209223), and they increased the length of the bolts which held
the backplate. The adaptor has two (drilled) lugs to the front which located
the
caliper.

The later models, (discs fitted as standard equipment), were produced with
modified vertical links, with only three drillings, two for the caliper, and
one
for the steering tie-rod, and fitted with brake dust shields.

>From Canley Classics, (John Kipping Catalogue)

Discs Brakes:

Calipers: RH: 210989R, LH: 210988R., Type 12: Herald up to commission no.
GA229454, Spitfire 4 & Mk.2, Vitesse 6.

Calipers: RH: 159131R, LH: 159130R., Type 14: Herald 1200 from GA22955,
Spitfire Mk.3, IV & 1500.

Calipers: RH: 307976R, LH: 307977R,  Type 16P: Vitesse to HC53394, GT6 to
KC56077.

Calipers: RH: 311852R, LH: 311851R, Type 16PB: Vitesse from HC53395, GT6 from
KC56078 to KE12389.

Calipers: RH: 159027R, LH: 159026R, Type 16PB METRIC: GT6-3. from KE12390.

Hopefully that should clear matters up somewhat!

Regards

Lion

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.websho