fot

Re: [Fot] Infrared Temperature Guns

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Infrared Temperature Guns
From: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:35:48 -0700
I use one for Tire temps but Exhaust would probably be meaningless to
use a gun since you would only be getting the temp of an exhaust pipe
that would have significantly cooled down by the time you could pop
the hood and get a reading.

For example I just fired up my notebook to look at the data from our
race two weekends ago at Sandia (howdy Greg!).  Taking a snap shot of
a section of track in the race (28.063 into the lap) the EGT was at
1,066 degrees.  At 31.264 into that lap a downshift and lift off the
gas for a corner brought the EGT down to 922 but at the end of the
following straight (43.448) the EGT was back up to 1,108.  We
normally like to see a peak EGT around 1,150 - 1,200 but there was
just no air to burn up there in Albuquerque and we were running the
leanest jets we had.

We use a probe to get EGT temps.

Probably just pulling and reading the plugs would give you more info
about Exhaust temp than using an infrared gun could.

For tires it is certainly helpful.  I use the gun to check our tires
and the tires of the others around us.