fot

[Fot] Corporate sponsorships for the owner/driver

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Corporate sponsorships for the owner/driver
From: "James Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:49:58 -0700
Vintage racers,

I am seeking some opinions about corporate sponsorships for the cars and
drivers in Vintage Racing.

Major corporations already support the tracks and clubs. I have been
testing the sponsorship waters for the sole purpose of covering travel
and sign up expenses to such races as the GP at Watkins Glen and similar
high profile races. For me, Watkins Glen is a 3,200 mile round trip and
will take a week. Sebring, 3,800 miles, Laguna Seca, 2,500..enough about
that said. I don't need to preach to any of you about the expenses of
racing. I actually have a prospective sponsor that caters to primarily
to the 45 & up crowd. My ( our ) problem is what I ( we ) have little to
offer in return. I am certainly not talking about plastering the car
with corporate logo's and creating a media circus like NASCAR et.al.
Outside the vintage race magazines we get very little if any media
coverage. The larger events such as Watkins Glen with the weekend
festival offer more opportunity but there is still not a lot. For
starters I would offer a catered hospitality tent in the pit. I think if
more opportunities were created by the promoters and clubs we, the
drivers, could attract some sponsors. I read some where that the GP at
Watkins Glen had 60,000 spectators over three days in ' 04. As far as
the small local events, I have no idea, my experience in Colorado is the
overwhelming majority of the spectators are friends and family so
sponsorship at a local level is tough at best.

Vintage racing is not a " win at any cost " sport. There are no winners
declared at the end of the day, no podium ceremonies and no winners
circle. I think many potential sponsors can appreciate that and still
participate as long as they can get some exposure and appreciation for
their contribution. Many of you may remember the two E types fielded by
Jaguar in 2003.

The attached link is to an article in Automobile magazine is about
Jaguars participation in Vintage racing and I consider it a pretty good
read.
<http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0408_jaguar_select/index.h
tml>
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0408_jaguar_select/index.ht
ml

I have some ideas about how sponsors could benefit and still maintain
the vintage spirit but I want to hear what other drivers and club
representatives feel about the issue. I'm not looking for huge money to
fund my car, I just think racing should be just a little easier for the
regular guy or gal on a budget that wants to go racing and has the
initiative to get a sponsor for tires, sign up fees or travel expenses.
In Colorado we two tracks and four vintage events per year.

I really want to get out East and West but it will be near impossible to
do on my budget without some help and I know of many others in the same
position.

In the coming month, I will likely write to the editors of the vintage
magazines for public critique.

FoT your input would be appreciated and I hope I have not offended and
gone against the Vintage spirit.

Jim Gray

RMVR