fot

Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather

To: N197TR4@cs.com, jwags@dotnet.com, wgrosenbach@juno.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather
From: DSPGTi@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:20:09 EST
I'm very surprised any Vintage organization would allow any crank case
venting connecting to the exhaust system. After all we are talking about oil
being
injected in the stream after combustion. It has been prohibited by SCCA as long
as I can remember, however there appears to be no mention in the 1972 GCR
rules under the "oil catch tanks" section. The second oldest GCR that I have on
hand (2003 17.26) states the exact wording as the 2008 GCR: "A crankcase vacuum
breather that passes through the oil catch tank(s) to exhaust systems or
vacuum devices that connect directly to exhaust systems is prohibited."

I have yet to run my TR4 hard enough or long enough but my VW Rabbit can put
a half a quart in the catch tank on a hot day during a 20 minute session. On a
3 hour enduro we have to add a quart at a pit stop on a Scirocco and finish
almost a quart low. Both engines are very strong with minimal leak down.You
wouldn't want to be following me with that going out my tail pipe.

Dave Y.