fot

Re: [Fot] Blue dot taillights

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Blue dot taillights
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:21:24 -0800
> Following a motorcycle this morning got me thinking about his
> blue dot taillights.  Anybody know why they were implemented
> and why they are  illegal?
> Seems rather stupid so I suspect "The Wild One" to be
> involved  somewhere.

Ever since the advent of mass production, car (and motorcycle) owners have
been seeking ways to look "different".  Blue dots are just one of the more
enduring items of bling from the post-war years (when was the last time you
saw a raccoon tail tied to an aerial ?).

Not illegal everywhere, but where they are, it appears to be because tail
and brake lights are required to be red.  Anything not mandatory is
forbidden.  IMO they are actually more likely to be noticed than ordinary
red brake lights; and I'm not aware of any research to the contrary.

Randall