fot

Re: [Fot] Replacing TR6 hood

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <triosan@gmail.com>, "'Friends'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Replacing TR6 hood
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:59:00 -0500
I share your frustration. This goes much better with a friend's help. In
fact, without risk of scratching it is real scary.  So wait for a friend and
instruct him something like this:

1. Place at least two of the hood mounting bolts along the front fender
mounting channel near the front of the engine bay by the hinges. Also have
1/2 inch wrenches handy and within reach of this same area.
2. You and a FRIEND pick up the hood holding each of its sides. (If you
don't have a friend, find one.  If you can't find one, then sell your
Triumph without a hood installed.)
3. You take the passenger side, especially if your right handed.  Hoist the
hood onto each of your inside (the engine side) shoulders, whilst, (a
British word), facing toward the front of the car.
4. Tilt the hood so that the hinges mate as close as possible with the hood
mounting holes and install somewhat loosely two of the bolts through the
passenger side hinge holes.
5. Then go over and relieve your friend who is patiently holding his
driver's side up and who has helped by gently moving the hood whilst you
bolted the passenger side.
6. Install two bolts on the driver's side with a bit more tightness and
gently lower the hood and adjust by hand bumping the edges to align.  Raise
and tighten until adjustments and alignment is made and finish other bolt
installations.

The floating captured threaded plates are of course the problem, but this
method has worked for me for many installations.  Praying for more patience
might also help before you start.

Don Carter, AIA

Carter Design Associates
6213 Skyline Dr., Suite 100