fot

Re: [Fot] Radiator burping

To: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Radiator burping
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:28:39 -0500
As someone mentioned, any overflow should go to the overflow
tank.  The seal between the top of the rad cap and the outer flange
is supposed to be an "infinite" pressure seal.  The spring and inner
seal is where the 7 lbs or 21 lbs or whatever the cap is rated for
applies.  It lets the water in between the inner seal and the outer
seal to go to the overflow tank.  When it cools down it's supposed to
suck water from the overflow tank back into the radiator.

As mentioned, two things will cause the water not to go to the overflow:
1. blocked line to the overflow
2. crappy seal between the radiator cap and the radiator

I've had issues in the past where after a 30 min session the overflow
tank (1 - 2 qt size) was almost full and it wouldn't pull back into
the radiator.  This was caused by a minor leak between the combustion
chamber into the water jacket.  There was still enough pressure in
the radiator that the water wouldn't pull back in.

A hard run at low speed will likely put more heat into the system
than it handles well, and then shutting down the car would cause more
heat soak where you may see some localized boiling and would
certainly see the water expanding.

I have a little bleeder on the top of my thermostat housing to get
the last little bit of air out of the block, but having a little air
in the system would give it some room to expand too so I don't think
that's the issue.

One other issue I'll mention is that the stock radiators need a cap
with a longer than usual distance between the inner seal and top of
the cap (the spring part needs to be longer).  I run an aftermarket
radiator so it uses normal caps.

21 psi is certainly too high - you risk blowing the figure 8 seals
with that.  I'd be nervous going much over 10 psi.

- Tony Drews