fot

[Fot] Rocker stand studs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Rocker stand studs
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:30:25 -0500
Again this weekend one of our TR competitors suffered valve train
damage because the rear rocker stand stud backed all the way out, the
shaft broke, and rockers were damaged. The studs appeared to be grade
8 studs, the one that backed out was not damaged, and the threads in
the head were not damaged. On this particular engine, the rocker
shaft stands were steel and were in as-new condition.

I've seen multiple occurrences of two failure modes -- one is
breaking the end studs, the other is studs backing out. Both
resulting in collateral damage.

What is the collective wisdom of the list regarding

---prevention of breaking?

---prevention of backing out?

uncle jack