fot

[Fot] Top hats

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Top hats
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:15:53 -0500
Thanks for the responses to the question on the top hat bushing.

I asked the question because of the latest rebuild of my
transmission, with the usual struggle with the main shaft assembly
and setting the end float on the bushings and gears. I've thought
about this every time I've rebuilt a box. I don't understand what is
happening in the gearbox that caused the designers to use this design
bushing. There must be some reason.

Several guys responded with the same thought that I had in mind,
which is, why not make this assembly from a washer and bushings
instead of using the top hat design? Spits don't have top hat
bushings, and neither do a host of other cars.

Too bad it would be such a time and effort consuming exercise to
prove out in real life. I guess converting to one of the current
production five speed boxes might have a better cost - benefit ratio.

uncle jack