fot

Re: [Fot] Setting ign timing Also, track day coming up

To: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Setting ign timing Also, track day coming up
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:38:50 -0700
Sure, all the time. Track time is track time. Just focus on doing the
things you want to do. Underpowered doesn't mean much except that
people who can't drive will blow by you in the straight and then suck
in the corners, But you should probably have a list of things you want
to work out. One of them is figuring out how to set your tire pressure
and suspension. I think Kas' first book is pretty good for this stuff,
but there are other guides to test and tune that can help you a lot.
Just remember you aren't there to race with these guys. Truth is that
a good mini van can set a faster time than most vintage race cars.
Peyote does 1:29 something at PIR with the chicane, my Ferrari does
1:23 without breathing hard, with a passenger, the AC running, and the
stereo blasting old Queen anthems. I've done 1:24 with one of those
weird rally 323's years ago. 1:17 with my Radical.

Doesn't matter. I'd rather race Peyote than any of those.

On Jul 20, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Steven Belfer wrote:

>> Cool.  Thanks gang.  I'll break out my old red Buck-Rodgers style
>> timing ray gun.
>

> I signed up for a non-vintage event next Saturday for the opportunity
> to get more seat time in my car.  The group is called "Speed Ventures"
> out here in Los Angeles.
> This is a track event where people bring their modern street cars out
> to wear out their tires and brakes.  I'll have the only TR and perhaps
> the only 4 cyl car.
> About eight months ago, I pulled my engine and rebuilt it slowly over
> the winter and spring.  I just can't wait until my next vintage event
> in Sept. or perhaps Nov to get in the car.
> Here is a list of the other cars that will be present.    It's divided
> into four different run groups based on driver experience.  As you can
> see below in the list of other cars, I have a very underpowered car by
> comparison.  I'm expecting 10 or so cars in whichever group they put
> me in and I'm not out there to race but rather, to drive my car and
> get the feel for my new motor. Perhaps work out a few bugs before my
> next VARA race.
>
> Anybody out there run a track day like this?

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660