fot

Re: [Fot] Question 2: (Maybe stupid?) Turning down a piston size

To: tr4racing@googlemail.com, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Question 2: (Maybe stupid?) Turning down a piston size
From: DSPGTi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:26:44 EDT
Most of today's racing pistons are "cam ground". Turn the piston over, look
at the different thicknesses of the underside. Massive up top, reinforcement
around the pin bosses, thin skirt. Modern piston design takes into
consideration
the expansion of every portion of the profile. A true racing piston will
calculate the expansion rate on every square millimeter and shape the piston
accordingly. So they are "cam (as in lobe)ground". Kind of oblong or egged or
whatever term we can use to approximate the shape the piston will take at "race
temperature".

Of coarse we are talking about high reving, close tolerance, precision race
motors.... not tractor motors.

Yes, I have gotten away with turning a piston perfectly round and running it
at higher RPMs than the TR(3-4)  can achieve. as long as you aren't too
worry'd about a little piston slap at idle.

Dave Y

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.