fot

[Fot] An introduction from a new Friend

To: Fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] An introduction from a new Friend
From: Dlhogye@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 22:56:15 EDT
Hello Friends of Triumph,
   My name is Dave Hogye (last name pronounced like the sandwich), I live in
Santa Cruz, Ca. I spent the first 22 years of my life in the Cleveland, Ohio
area. I've been interested in cars and racing since my earliest recollections.
The year I was born, 1963, my father was a salesman for Jaguar Cleveland where
he sold all British makes as well as Alfa and Porsche. I have some great
pictures of him in the shop where a number of TR3s and 4s are the subjects
during
a factory service clinic being held for customers. Another car influence of
mine was my father's good friend Dave Smith. He is my godfather and name sake
and was a life long SCCA racer until he finally hung up his helmet just a few
years ago. I've always wanted to follow in his "racer footsteps". I worked as a
BMW mechanic (cars & bikes) my first few years in Santa Cruz. I've collected a
few motorcycles through the years and still own my first car, a '63 Galaxie
500XL. The Galaxie would make a great tow rig for getting my first race car to
the track. That car would be my first Triumph, a 1960 TR3. I found the car
locally, or did it find me? One thing for sure, it needs me. It was last
registered in'76. The guy I got it from bought it in '80. He bought it in
pretty close
to the same condition that I bought it from him. The body was not bolted to
the frame and someone had begun a restoration. I'm guessing that was about 32
years ago. I've completely disassembled the car. The body is on a rotisserie at
my home shop. I'll be replacing the left side rocker and possibly the inner
support and battery box. Everything else is solid. The frame is in beautiful
condition. I've had it   stripped and I'm preparing to reinforce all the
critical
 areas. The engine obviously had very few miles on it after a rebuild many
moons ago. I'll be needing all the usual racing upgrades though, including a
small port head and 87mm. kit. It does have competition pushrods, that is,
according to Kas Kastner's competition book. I purchased Kas' competition book,
factory manual and TR restoration guide within the first week that I bought the
car. The trans is non-overdrive.
   I look forward to building my car with the assistance of those who know
TRs which would of course include Friends of Triumph.
   Sincerly,
    Dave Hogye
    dlhogye@ aol.com

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and
fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.

(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)