fot

Re: [Fot] Sad news from Road America

To: susank@141.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sad news from Road America
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:06:36 EDT
--===============0162668166==

-------------------------------1222131996

Jim Austhof's is sure getting a Baptism of Fire.  His description, of
course, is accurate, as is his counsel concerning the Hans devise.   Not sure
it
would have been quite as effective in this case because of the 'side  impact',
but there certainly would have been increased stability.  Vintage  racing is
not
a high speed parade.  Its risks are serious.  The  biggest thing I was
reminded of is the fact that when we race we make a lot of  split second
decisions.
And we don't get to do them over.  Serious  stuff!

I had raced many laps with Dr. Surjit Hermon.  In my opinion, he was  very
conservative, raced at 8/10ths, and was particularly courteous to  other
racers.
 I was in that Friday practice session as well, and have to  assume he may
have missed a waving yellow and standing white at the Thunder  Valley worker
station.  You can't see the apex to 13 coming up that hill,  and I suspect he
was
surprised by the commotion and lost control of his  car.  So sad these things
should happen.

As such, we choose not to do the 'missing man' pace lap in honor of Jack
Drews on Sunday morning.

Bill Dentinger

In a message dated 9/22/2008 7:44:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,