fot

[Fot] Enclosed trailer advice

To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Enclosed trailer advice
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:49:13 -0500

--===============1976109728==

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C92075.88E23B80

Anyone out the knowledgeable on trailer construction?

I have always enjoyed taking my car to the track on an open trailer. You =
get a lot a waves and thumbs up but on this last trip I got a dent. It =
is time or me to get an enclosed trailer. I found a used one locally it =
has been used as a construction trailer for the last 5 years after =
having carried around a quarter midget team.

I can buy this 10 year old 24 foot CargoMate trailer for around 4 grand. =
They added an A/C unit (uncertain if it works) and the roof is dented =
from climbing around up there, probably to service the A/C. The inside =
was interior grade paneled over the 3/8 plywood and some of the plywood =
has warped pushing the paneling out. I suspect condensation from the A/C =
unit.

I understand that the lighter trailers use a strong box frame and a thin =
wood skin for wall construction and the others like this one use a =
lighter metal channel that needs plywood walls for strength. What I =
don't know is if you can easily replace damaged sections of plywood, or =
is it even necessary. Judging condition of the torsion axles, brakes etc =
is another variable. I'm also worried about the weight behind my 3/4 ton =
pick-up. I suppose a load leveling hitch is mandatory.

At this point I'm leaning away from buying it. Any advice appreciated.=20

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C92075.88E23B80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyone out the knowledgeable on trailer =

construction?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have always enjoyed taking my car to =
the track on=20
an open trailer. You get a lot a waves and thumbs up but on this last=20
trip&nbsp;I got a dent. It is time or me to&nbsp;get an enclosed =
trailer. I=20
found a used one locally it has been used as a construction trailer =
for&nbsp;the=20
last 5 years after having carried around a quarter midget =
team.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can buy this 10 year old 24 foot =
CargoMate=20
trailer for around 4 grand. They&nbsp;added an A/C unit (uncertain if it =
works)=20
and the roof is dented from climbing around up there, probably to =
service the=20
A/C. The inside was interior grade paneled over the 3/8 plywood and some =
of the=20
plywood has warped pushing the paneling out. I suspect condensation from =
the A/C=20
unit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I understand that the lighter trailers =
use a strong=20
box frame and a thin wood skin for wall construction and the others like =
this=20
one use a lighter metal channel that needs&nbsp;plywood walls for =
strength. What=20
I don't know is if you can easily replace damaged sections of plywood, =
or is it=20
even necessary. Judging condition of the torsion axles, brakes etc is =
another=20
variable. </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm also worried about the =
weight=20
behind my 3/4 ton pick-up. I suppose a load leveling hitch is=20
mandatory.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At this point I'm leaning away from =
buying it. Any=20
advice appreciated. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Bob Kramer<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:rkramer3@austin.rr.com";>rkramer3@austin.rr.com</A></DIV></=