fot

Re: [Fot] Tilton vs Stock Clutch (Was Clutch question)

To: srcypher@mac.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tilton vs Stock Clutch (Was Clutch question)
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:02:24 GMT
The set up that came with my car had 2 throw-out bearing bushings brazed
together to reduce the travel to make up for the much shorter quartermaster
clutch.  To keep from over extending the pressure plate there was an
adjustable stop on the clutch pedal.  I have since changed to a Howe hydraulic
release bearing, but still use an adjustable stop to keep from over extending
the pressure plate.  Joe(B)

-- Scott Cypher <srcypher@mac.com> wrote:
Bill, a related question on stock vs. Tilton;
I"m fitting an aluminum flywheel, 7 1/4 tilton single plate.

>From my collection; I have a couple collars for release bearings,
that are different lengths, in what look like PO modifications to
deal with the different standoff distance off rear of the block given
modified flywheel/pressure plates.

With a tilton setup, how do you control the throw such that you don't
over-extend the diaphram spring?  Do the hydraulics take up the
slack, do you have to use a different collar to control the throw
distance, or do you have put a hard stop for the lever arm?

After installing the tilton, and a longer collar, I have about 3/8"
play between fully retracted and when the release bearing first touch
the tilton diaphragm spring.

What else should I look for?  I unfortunately didn't measure the
lightened stock steel flywheel & stock clutch setup standoff distance
prior to this change.

Thanks

-Scott Cypher
spitfireracer@xsmail.com
SCCA #57 HP Spitfire 1500 #362573
Reading, PA
http://gallery.mac.com/srcypher

1971 Spit MkIV/1500 RaceCar
1971 TR6 TBD
1976 TR7 Street
1968 GT6 Vintage

"I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.
Its the excitement only a free man can feel.  A free man at the start
of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain"

On Oct 12, 2008, at 1:39 PM, Bill Babcock wrote:

I've tried a lot of different clutches, including modified stockers,
Tilton, etc., and I like the Quartermaster clutches best. 7.25 two
plate.
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net
Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search
features.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/Ioyw6ijlYYVaa906EO10bKLGaVZDNN
dfMv9nHZg8U94oIjs4s5Nfyq/