fot

[Fot] Redux: Spitfire 1147 (six-port) cylinder head primer, anyone?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Redux: Spitfire 1147 (six-port) cylinder head primer, anyone?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:07:03 EDT
Apologies for an on-topic post.  :-)
Back on September 10, I posted the following...and got  virtually no
response, save for a few people who offered bits of  information...or sympathy
for the
lack of response from others. So I thought I'd  give it one more try....
============

Can any of you of  the early Spitfire persuasion give me a primer on the
"good" and/or "better"  cylinder heads? I'm really interested  to know about
casting  numbers AND stamped numbers,  what the differences are, why the
303014
(casting number, I think) head was once banned in SCCA  Production racing but
is
now allowed again and what's so special about that  particular head...in
short, any such details you'd care to share.

I know someone once  told me that one  or more of the 948cc heads was good
as well; unfortunately, I lost the  details on that in a  long-ago computer
crash.

Thanks for any and all  insights!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is  it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine  with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty  Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The  Vintage Triumph
Register: _http://www.vtr.org_ (http://www.vtr.org/)

Check out the  North American Triumph  Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)

no registration required and great graphics b check it out!