fot

Re: [Fot] TR-4 SVRA Rules Question ~ extra chassis stiffening

To: jaxonracing@yahoo.com, philhyer@gmail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-4 SVRA Rules Question ~ extra chassis stiffening
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:49:10 EDT
Triangulation was never a part of the rules. It was not addressed.

When roll bars were mandated, the only rule was that it had to meet the
basic specifications so far as tubing types (seamless) and wall thickness. You
had to be able to convince whatever tech inspector you met on a  particular
day,
that it was sound and safe.

Throughout the sixties, roll bar technology advanced to the point where the
smarter teams were realizing that a properly braced roll bar also gave the
whole  car more rigidity. Triangulation was used more extensively, always with
the  reason being to enhance driver protection.

By the late sixties-early seventies, the gloves were off and bars went
everywhere, still in the guise of driver protection, but strategically placed
for
platform stiffness.

The trade-off of course was added weight.

In Vintage Racing, we try to respect time lines, so historically speaking,
bars to the shock towers are appropriate for cars prepared to about 1970 and
later.

Having said that, we also embrace improved safety enhancements that may
override period sensitivities from time to time.

It is a fine line that you have to judge for yourself. Peer pressure is  also
a factor.

One solution that I have used is to move such a car to run with a newer
group (SVRA Group 8 rather than Group 3). You can look them up....

In the past, many folks moving into VR from current spec racing have been
made to cut out offending braces.

Each organization deals with it differently.

The choice is yours and I respect it either way.

Jack  Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director
jwoesvra@aol.com
803-463-5388
FAX  803-794-8747
701 Center Street
West Columbia, SC 29169

In a message dated 10/26/2008 12:39:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,