fot

[Fot] summers over!!!

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] summers over!!!
From: "Russ Moore" <rem9@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:04:45 -0400
Being in upstate NY we are certainly used to the "non-driving" seasons
referred to as winter up here. We have had flurries for the past 3 days
where I am and only 8 miles away was pelted with 8" of snow. (stationary
cold rain for those of you below the Mason Dixon line). What's worse is only
30 minutes away from me had some 2 feet of snow!

Glad I snuck in that weekend of racing with VRG at Watkins Glen only 10 days
ago! Great event with lots of seat time.

I now retreat to my garage and Guinness for the next 5 months! Motor head
hibernation northern style.

I have discovered I have in my possession the oldest surviving Ferguson
TE-20 model tractor in North America, built by Standard Motor Co. Ltd in
Coventry. It possibly is may be the oldest survivor in the world with the
serial number of "TE-17" out of over 500,000 made. Sir John Black played a
role in the project with Harry Ferguson after Ferguson split with Henry
Ford. While the early production used a Continental engine the later ones
from 1947 on used the Standard Vanguard engine. This was similar to the TR-2
engine. See the VTR magazine this month for more elaboration. Looks like a
number of Triumph bits may fit this. Same Lucas electrics but with half the
voltage! (some of the time)

Russ Moore