fot

Re: [Fot] Inquiry for race events and a ... yes again... GT6

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Inquiry for race events and a ... yes again... GT6
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:20:28 -1000
It's pretty easy to set up a hydraulic release bearing properly and
once you do you don't have to worry about it anymore. You want to
assemble everything with some clay on the face of the throwout bearing
and the hydraulic actuator pushed all the way back. Then disassemble
and measure the clay thickness to determine how much clearance you
have between the bearing face and clutch boss. You want enough room so
the clutch can disengage fully or you will toast the engine's thrust
bearings. Say .060 to .070"

Now measure the travel of the actuator for one full stroke of the
master cylinder. If the travel is longer than the recommended stroke
of your clutch then you either need a smaller m/c (recommended) or a
stop. Remember that the hydraulic actuator is self adjusting. It will
not withdraw to the amount of clearance you set up--it will rest the
throwout bearing lightly on the clutch boss. You'll get the full
stroke of the actuator every time you press the clutch pedal to the
floor. Setting clearance is just to be sure you always have room to
fully release the clutch, even after a bit of disk wear.

I don't know what the recommended stroke of your GT6 clutch is. The
stock setup may not overstroke the clutch, but with all the broken
diaphragm springs I've seen over the years I wouldn't guarantee that.
The long lever arm and a spring to pull the throwout bearing off the
clutch means that the free play adjustment varies the stroke.
On Nov 23, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Bobby Whitehead wrote:

> Once again, I've had a failure in the unit that attaches to the
> flywheel. I kept the hydraulic release bearing that came with my Bob
> Davis built GT6 (minus the T50 5 speed). The 4 speed gearbox from
> Quantum started grinding at shifts into 4th gear, and an oil change
> showed brass shavings. I buttoned it all back up for CVAR's last
> event at TWS this past month. I've learned my lesson going out 6
> times and coming back 3 times early to only pay $100.00 for fridays
> test and tune.. If I make it through friday, I pay for the weekend.
> Well.... late friday evening on the long straight, a high pitched
> whine and some smoke in the cabin from 3rd to 4th... no shifty....
> Brought it back home after some track side analysis and the clutch
> material had departed the flywheel side of the clutch disk.
> Bob Kramer feels I should ditch the hydraulic release bearing and go
> back to the standard slave cylinder. His conclusion was there was
> too much pressure on the disk as I may have not backed off the
> release bearing enough when I did the 2nd gearbox swap. I was
> planning on pulling the gearbox anyway and sending it back to
> Quantum, really needing to change out for a overdrive as I simply do
> not have enough combination to run TWS on the straightaway before I
> run up to my set limit of 6200 rpm.
> I would like to run with CVAR but they wont allow the T50... wonder
> if I can run the T50 gearbox in other groups like SVRA or the like?
> Seriously considering one or the other, try the overdrive with the
> slave or hydraulic release bearing, or putting the T50 back in a
> race with another organization...
> Kindest regards, ya'll... yes I'm from Texas....
> Happy Thanksgiving to the group,
> Bobby Whitehead
> #53 CVAR EP Group II

Bill Babcock