fot

[Fot] In memory of uncle jack

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] In memory of uncle jack
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:27:40 -0000
Friends

As many of you know, I'm currently intending to do a Charity Drive across the
States and Canada next
year in a Stag - to help three charities (non-profits) raise money for the
treatment of so many who
suffer from PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder.
There's a website at www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk which you're welcome to
visit to learn more.
There's also a button on it you can click to keep up to speed with update
emails from me on progress
in preparing for the event and (hopefully) a daily diary and video download
once we get underway
with the Drive itself.
The prime point of this email is to give FoTers the first public announcement
of what I feel is a
very important landmark in the run-up to getting underway.
As most (all?) of us know, Jack Drews was a perfectionist in the way his car
was always prepared and
turned out whenever he went racing. I feel it is not too soon to say the 1973
Stag that I will be
driving on the event will entirely reflect Jack's no compromise standards, and
for this, I'm
entirely indebted to Joe Pawlak and his loyal team of dedicated helpers at
Illinois Sports Owners
Association who, even as I write, are completely rebuilding the car from the
ground up.
It's by now had its final coat of Sapphire Blue (original colour) though it was
white when bought
earlier this year. We're keeping the hardtop white to hopefully reflect out
some of the heat the A/C
won't be able to cope with!
But now we come to the important bit. After a most courteous email from Tony
Drews, I want all of
you to know the Stag will have a name. I can think of a good few unprintable
ones but I want you to
be aware that as of now the TTACD Stag will be known as uncle jack. Tony was
most insistent we keep
to lower case letters throughout because this is how Jack always signed off his
emails to the list
and certainly to me. I do hope Jack would approve - but I think he will. Joe
Pawlak and the team
have done a stupendous job so far and I see no reason why this standard will
not continue. There's
another more personal issue for me that I hope uncle jack won't object to
having on his front
bumper.
My late Dad, Charles Macartney, after whom The Macartney Charitable Trust was
named in his memory,
was also a perfectionist in anything he undertook - especially if it was
anything to do with
engineering and production issues at the factory in Coventry. With that in
view, I do hope no-one
will object if uncle jack appears on the highways and byways of the USA and
Canada with a replica of
Dad's licence plate that he moved from car to car over the years. That plate
was first issued by the
Coventry Motor Tax office in 1956 and is TRW 777.
Thank you Tony, thank you Frances, uncle jack will live on in more than just
your memories and I
promise I'll do my very best to look after him as we complete our marathon
journey.
OK FoTers - uncle jack is back with us and I hope in a form which would ensure
his approval.

Jonmac
(John Macartney)