fot

[Fot] HANS Device

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] HANS Device
From: "Gary Horstkorta" <vintage.racer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:09:27 -0800
After last year's loss of drivers, it got me thinking about my personal
safety on the track.  I consider myself a safe, alert, vintage racer mostly
concerned about being "collected" by another driver(s) mistake.  I've had a
few close calls, barely missed by or missing spinning cars or avoiding
someone's overly aggressive move into a corner.  Lots of luck but also being
aware of other cars, who's driving them and track position.  As a result, I
recently had my rollbar extended to include side door and under dash
protection plus installation of a new, low-back seat so I could wear a HANS
Device which I'll order here shortly.  Yes, the upgrade costs are not cheap
but I know I'll feel a bit more comfortable out on the track especially when
there are guest drivers I'm not familiar racing with or heaven forbid, the
unexpected mechanical failure induced accident.

My local club, CSRG, does not mandate any safety devices, rather, they are
"highly recommended" due to insurance liability implications.  The club
preaches safety at every opportunity and its had a positive impact for the
most part.  I see an increasing number of club members with HANS devices, a
trend I expect to see continue.

Gary

62 TR4