fot

Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 26, Issue 49

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 26, Issue 49
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:32:39 EST
In a message dated 1/28/2009 11:20:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fot-request@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:01:37 -0800
> From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [Fot] J Type OD lubricant
> To: <fot@autox.team.net>
>
> > because Laycock recommends 30wt,
>
> Just curious, Leon, have you ever seen where Laycock recommended only 30
> weight for a J-type?
>
> Or even for an A-type in the 60s or 70s?
>
> The only information I've seen from Laycock was written in the early 50s (so
> almost 20 years before the J-type was designed); and Standard-Triumph
> followed their recommendation up until approximately 1960 (except that ST
> allowed up to 50 weight depending on ambient temperature).
>
> I've heard a rumor that there was actually a service bulletin describing the
> OD changes to accommodate the use of EP gear oil; but have never found a
> copy of such a bulletin.
>
> BTW, the Volvo J-type manual I have handy says that 20W40 is permissible;
> which is actually thicker than 75W90 @ 40C.
>
> Randall

Sorry Randall,

Bit of memory fog, but I will try to recall and if/when I do, I will be sure
to let you know! I seem to remember about 20% of all ths stuff I have read
these days, but I think it may have been in a Laycock manual somewhere?

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963</A>