fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph TR7 15 inch steel wheels?

To: John Nikas <capecoventryracing@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph TR7 15 inch steel wheels?
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:15:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, John Nikas wrote:

> Originally, the TR7 came with 13 inch wheels. Last year we saw a TR7 with 15
> inch steel wheels that came off some Japanese sports car. I know that the
> bolt pattern on the TR7 is different from that of the TR2-6 range. I think
> they are the same pattern as the Spitfire (later). Does anybody know what
> steel wheels will fit on a TR7? Thanks.

Not many fit off the shelf, the bolt pattern is 4 on 3.75 or 4 on 96 mm,
something like that.

If you want to fit "jap car" wheels to your TR7, there are vendors that
sell adapters to go from 4 on whatever to 4 on 100mm, a common zise for
"tuner" cars. The only drawback to this approach is the fact that most
tuner wheels run lots of offset - BUT the adapters act like spacers and
cancel some of the change in offset.

In other words - the adapter approach will def. work for some folks.

Whether you prefer to run spacers and that sort of thing is a personal
preference, or so it seems.

Me - if I happened to have a TR7 or TR8, I'd either make custom hubs or
convert what's there to 4 on 4.5" because I have about a zillion 4 on 4.5
wheels from having owned TR6's since the 70's. :-) Oh - and it's not hard
to get a Ford 8.8" diff to fit a TR7/8 and you can easily get 4 on 4.5"
hubs for that setup.

> --
> Very truly yours,
>
> John Nikas
> Cape Coventry Racing
> www.capecoventryracing.com
> (949) 375-6306

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489