fot

Re: [Fot] Radiator Caps

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>, "Fot@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Radiator Caps
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:06:01 -0700
> Any ideas as to how much the spring should be compressed to
> hold the pressure?

What I did was to remove the plug where the heater valve used to be, and
temporarily put in a pipe tee with a Schrader valve on one leg and a hose
barb on the other.  To the hose barb I connected my vacuum test gauge (which
also reads pressure to 10 psi).  Pressurize the system with an air hose
through the Schrader valve, then watch what the gauge does (and where the
air/water comes out).

I agree, .050" doesn't sound like enough (but measuring the cap that
accurately may be a problem).  Note that any radiator shop can replace that
3/4" reach filler neck with a modern one (1/2"?), giving you a whole range
of standard caps to choose from.

I don't recommend what I was doing for the test above : modifying a Stant
Lev-R-Vent cap to work with the longer reach neck.  It worked, but I
invested way too much time especially considering that the radiator shop
only charged me $20 to replace the neck (in conjunction with some other
work).

Randall