fot

[Fot] List stuff again

To: 'Friends of Triumph' <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] List stuff again
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:31:41 -0600
I believe that the issues with AOL and other such entities regarding
blocking
email from Team.Net has been resolved, and effected addresses should be back
in current status.

What fun.  Only a few dozen more lists and who knows how many hundreds
of addresses to process.  Not exactly how I wanted to spend my weekend.
So it goes.

In case you are wondering, the problem was with reverse DNS.  Basically
every computer has a name and an address.  If you give a name to a domain
name server, you get back an address.  That is required for a computer to
work on the network.  What ISN'T required is giving an address and getting
back a name.  In practice, though, most everyone has it set up.  So the AOL
mail server sees a message from autox.team.net, address x.x and does a
reverse lookup on x.x and gets x.x.frobble.in-blah.  That is not
autox.team.net
so it assumes the message is spam and chucks it into the bit bucket.  In
truth
there is more to it than that, the name to number matching is not 1 to 1.
aol.com is a LOT more than just one computer at one address.  And even
the team.net server also takes care of other domains like
britishmotorclub.org
and baileysautomotive.com and utahlotusmuseum.com and such.  But that
is beyond the scope of this message, I'm sure many folks have already given
up reading this far.

It was working fine for years, but when I switched ISPs last month and got
a new IP address, the new ISP did not properly set up the reverse lookup.
Should be fixed now.

mjb.