fot

Re: [Fot] Nomination and brief race report

To: "Mark Pendergrass" <mpendy@dishmail.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Nomination and brief race report
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:49:03 -0700
I had a great time. SCCA races are not the same kind of social thing
that pure vintage races are, but there's a lot of fine folks that I
haven't seen for a while, it was really good to catch up. I should add
a few more SCCA and ICSSC events to my calendar.

Peyote did just fine. A great number of people were entranced with
either Peyote or Nero or both. I had a pretty steady stream of curious
visitors. Peyote looks very different, As I've said before, it's
almost pretty now, but at the same time it's very true to it's
origins. Surprising to see how much difference having straight metal
and a fine hand at fitting everything really makes. Tony Garmey did an
amazing job.

She also rocked on the track. Set a new personal lap record for
Portland--1:29:784. That is picking them up and puttin' them down my
friends. I have no problem remembering when I thought I'd never see
1:31. We had a split start with open wheel cars going off first, and
in the field of 30-odd non-open wheel cars I finished third overall on
Sunday, and second in VP2. Lots of pretty darned good cars and fine
drivers. I think folks were a little shocked at what a giant killer
this goofy little car is.  And that's with very old tires and an
engine that's done a stupendous number of events--basically three very
busy years without a rebuild.

Arnie Loyning took first in his lotus elan, which was absolutely
stunningly fast, turning 1:27: something and setting a new track VP2
record. Arnie's a hell of a good driver but the car was amazing. 1200
pounds and 180+ horsepower. Behind him was Dick Albrecht in his very
nice Shelby 350 mustang. I was filling Dick's mirrors in every turn
and I almost got past him a couple of times, but he finally got a
little track between us and I couldn't regain it.  I had a fine battle
with Don Madsdens Lotus S7, Mike Smith's GT350, and Norm Daniels
Camaro, as well as an assortment of Datsun 240Zs, a pretty wicked
Dodge Charger, a Sunbeam Tiger and some Alpha Romeos.

I really thought Peyote gaining 30 pounds would take a toll in lap
times, but it didn't. I had a throttle cable pop off during Saturday's
race, but other than that it was flawless all weekend.