fot

[Fot] Blackhawk race last weekend (video link too)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Blackhawk race last weekend (video link too)
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:12:52 -0500
Last weekend I went racing at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Beloit,
Wisconsin with VSCDA.  Was pretty hot and humid, otherwise, the
storms only affected the Friday Morning practice sessions.  We had
several Triumphs there: me in my TR-4, Joe Alexander and his sons and
grandkids - he's got his TR-4 back together, Tim and Ryan Murphy with
their TR-4, Dennis and Joan Delap with their Surrey top TR-4, Scott
and Jerry Barr with Scott's Spitfire, and Bob Wismer in his TR-4.

We had two races - a 12 lap race on Saturday as well as a 12 lap race
on Sunday.  There was also a handicap race on Sunday which I ended up missing.

In Saturday's race, I started 6th and finished 3rd.  Didn't pass
anyone in anger on the track, but was hounded from behind by Ron
Suave in his 1275 bugeye.  I had an odd problem with the brakes
causing me to have to pump several times going into the corners.  I
thought it was worse after a left hand turn so figured I had a wheel
bearing going out.  Bob Wismer had spares, so figured I'd take care
of it Sunday morning.

Sunday morning, I backed into a car in the hotel parking lot - was
irritated that I locked something in my room and was distracted,
apparently.  So, that delayed my arrival at the track, ultimately
causing me to miss the Handicap race.  I wasn't that upset - as hot
as it was I would have baked in the car for quite a while before they
let me on the track for the Handicap race anyway.  My brake problem
turned out to be boiling brake fluid - a flush with new Castrol LMA
and all was well.  In Sunday's race, I started 5th and finished
4th.  Ron broke down, so I ended up running alone for most of the
race.  I did have the camera going so put together a 10 minute video
for those of you that like that kind of thing.

It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNeL8bxrPQ

Drove the car back on the trailer, successful weekend!

Cheers, Tony Drews